Sunday, January 27, 2013

Abokugcina

"His voice made us realise that we were still alive, but his silence made us aware that we had all been dreaming." - Ben Okri ( Songs Of Enchantment )

Kwa Mashu possesses a hellish divinity
A hopeful presence like a lovable enemy
She said to me 'hello!
I am your beloved foe
And I have awaited your return,
I have your sanity and your navel buried deep in my belly
Take my hand and I shall vomit it into your right, come my son.'

Tarnished souls poured out of the heaving earth
surprised by where they found themselves
spreadeagled on the hillocks of a netherworld
Where we are born again

I was born crazed
I was sworn amazed
Into the matrimonial clasp of a ghetto
I was baptised with fervent fire water and spittle and dew
in ceremonies of frenzy
a mystical spirit was poured into me
via a death
the last becoming first eventually
and the least becoming the most mathematically
ever since then
my eyes have sought the glory

No comments: